Did you know you can get Design Cuts WhatsApp updates directly on your phone? Find out more and register here: https://www.designcuts.com/whatsapp/
Thanks so much for joining the Design Cuts Community Forum! Be sure to check out our welcome post to help you get started: https://community.designcuts.com/discussion/198/welcome-to-the-community

Share 3 personal facts about yourself :)

Tom RossTom Ross Posts: 389 admin

Hey Design Cutters! So excited to see this early group taking shape. This forum is going to be a huge deal for us this year, so we're stoked to see some of our favourite community members here.

To get to know one another a little better, I thought it could be fun to share 3 personal facts about ourselves (Design Cuts team, I'd love for you guys to do the same!).

Here goes my 3 facts:

1. I love food, and am not a very fussy eater, but am allergic to tomatoes, which can be pretty awkward (think baseless pizza!)

2. When I was younger I broke my leg, and my mum thought I was moaning about the pain to be a hypochondriac. She made me walk on the broken leg for 3 weeks before she realised something was seriously wrong. I've never let her forget it! :persevere:

3. I used to play in a local band (lots of soul and rock music!). It was awesome fun, and we even did private events and a wedding. :smiley:

Over to you Design Cutters!

If you need an in depth critique on your work, be sure to check out this thread. We'll critique your work as part of a new video series at Design Cuts!

Comments

• Tom RossTom Ross Posts: 389 admin

@Rosa said:
    Ummm.....

1. I'm a neat freak! It's scary!

2. Besides working on art my favourite hangout is the cemetery with my camera! Seriously, I love cemeteries. They’re so rich in history and culture with many wonderful engravings and stonework. They also slow down time like nothing else. I love the peace and solitude and the emotional cleanse I get when walking around. This is the weird part, but so very true, I always have strange encounters with crows at cemeteries. I'm one of the rare ones that do not believe that crows are the bringer of death or a bad omen when sighted - even in cemeteries! lol . . .

3. I am a dreamer of both beautiful and dark things. I love out of the ordinary, unusual and macabre dark art.

4. I slipped in one more. . . I absolutely love crows and roses.

Sorry for that @Tom Ross hehee . . . I feel sad for you living without tomatoes! Cannot imagine a pizza without tomato base.

These are great Rosa! I didn't realise how into the macabre you were, but that's really cool :). My mum and step-dad are visiting Highgate Cemetery this year, which is so steeped in history.

If you need an in depth critique on your work, be sure to check out this thread. We'll critique your work as part of a new video series at Design Cuts!

• JeffJeff Posts: 642 mod

@Tom Ross said:
    1. I love food, and am not a very fussy eater, but am allergic to tomatoes, which can be pretty awkward (think baseless pizza!)

Bad luck. My brother has the same allergy and it creates lots of trouble when he comes to visit as my wife uses tomatoes in everything!

• Rosa PerryRosa Perry Posts: 163 All Star

@[email protected] said:

1. My party trick is that I can lick my elbow!

That is so funny :p :D

• Rosa PerryRosa Perry Posts: 163 All Star

@Tom Ross said:

These are great Rosa! I didn't realise how into the macabre you were, but that's really cool :). My mum and step-dad are visiting Highgate Cemetery this year, which is so steeped in history.

Wow! How awesome is that? That would be a dream visit for me! I can only imagine how magnificent it would be to walk around and soak up the history, find some ghosts and take lots and lots of shots! It's on my bucket list to do amongst other places. Australia is only about 230 years young so not as much history as England and Europe!

• ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 1,931 Champion

@Tom Ross said:

Here goes my 3 facts:

oooh I feel for you. I love tomatoes, even used to grow my own, but due to generalized chronic pain I have to avoid them in my diet. I really miss them so every now and then I have some and they taste like heaven. Can't imagine how it is to never be able to have them.

1. When I was younger I broke my leg, and my mum thought I was moaning about the pain to be a hypochondriac. She made me walk on the broken leg for 3 weeks before she realised something was seriously wrong. I've never let her forget it! :persevere:

>
    Holy cow, Tom! I can't even begin to imagine the pain you had to endure! Three weeks??!!! My goodness.

@Bobbi said:

1. I am sorry about your allergy Tom , mine is to peppers, any color of bell peppers ( I do not discriminate colors). Once on a flight to visit my family in Rio both options for dinner had peppers, I cried! Hey, it was a 12 hours flight.

You need to let them know ahead of time of any and all dietary restrictions you may have. They will accommodate. Whether is allergies, or religious, they have to accommodate. I can't have almonds, plus I'm vegan. I always tell them and they always come up with lovely meals for me 😁

edited August 2018

@Rosa said:
    Ummm.....

1. I'm a neat freak! It's scary!

Me too! Plus I have mild OCD and I'm in the spectrum so it reeeeeeaaaaly throws me off if something is moved from its assigned place or if things are not perfectly organized and aligned.

1. Besides working on art my favourite hangout is the cemetery with my camera! Seriously, I love cemeteries. They’re so rich in history and culture with many wonderful engravings and stonework. They also slow down time like nothing else. I love the peace and solitude and the emotional cleanse I get when walking around. This is the weird part, but so very true, I always have strange encounters with crows at cemeteries. I'm one of the rare ones that do not believe that crows are the bringer of death or a bad omen when sighted - even in cemeteries! lol . . .

Old cemeteries are beautiful. I have taken solace in old cemeteries a couple of times. Quite serene and cool (as in temperature). Plus crows are beautiful! And SO intelligent!

3. I am a dreamer of both beautiful and dark things. I love out of the ordinary, unusual and macabre dark art.

When I was a teenager, I very much was into Poe, Lovecraft, King, Bécquer. Not so much anymore but I still like the fandom, especially the cosplays.

1. I slipped in one more. . . I absolutely love crows and roses.

Crows are awesome! I love crows!

@Shutterjunkie said:

1. I love films and music.. and i'm quite the rock/metal-head (though you wouldn't think it to look at me). My favourite band is Muse, but Metallica, Alter Bridge & Led Zeppelin are also very high up there.

Movie geek here. My twitter and Instagram bios say I am fluent in English, Spanish, Italian, and movie quotes 😂😂😂

1. My party trick: I was born with weird hips. My mum got very upset when I was a toddler because the doctors said they might have to put me in a body cast to straighten (?) them (yey 80's medicine!). They didn't in the end, but it does mean that I can rotate my foot 180 degrees to point behind me, and that's my party trick which always gets quite a reaction.

Holy cow. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around that. I am an MD and I have never seen a foot rotate 180 degrees. It wouldn't have been a full body cast, by the way. Just from the waist down, which yes, it is still rather gruesome to see but it did the trick. The cast had to be changed as the baby grew, of course. But generally y the time the baby turned 1, it wasn't needed anymore. If you don't mind me asking, how do you protect your hip joint from getting damaged? I mean, the tendons of the femur must be under great stress if you can turn your foot all the way to the back!

1. Sunshine and the countryside make me very happy. I get really sad when September arrives and I realise I have to survive the cold and gloom again to get back through to Spring. If I had the choice I would live in the Scottish highlands amongst all that gorgeous, rugged landscape (camera in hand, of course).

I'm the opposite. I bloom and start smiling again when Autumn arrives and get sad when the spring ends

@Shutterjunkie 50 points for [insert your house here] for quoting The Cap! 🤣 hahaha that's awesome -as long as it doesn't hurt you, of course-. Yeah, I am positive being active is what prevented pain and damage. Good for you! It kept your tendons and fascias strong to prove that the joint. Go you!

• JemJem Posts: 933 Champion

@Claudia said:
    @Shutterjunkie 50 points for [insert your house here] for quoting The Cap! 🤣 hahaha that's awesome -as long as it doesn't hurt you, of course-. Yeah, I am positive being active is what prevented pain and damage. Good for you! It kept your tendons and fascias strong to prove that the joint. Go you!

Haha! Slytherin.. (sorry) ;) I'm also a bit of a Harry Potter nut!

Photographer | Graphic Designer | Cat Mum | Film Watcher | Music Listener | Yorkshire Lass

Instagram: @shutterjunkie | Twitter: @photographerjem

@Shutterjunkie Potterheads Unite! Also, no need to apologize for being a Slytherin. 🤣

• RobertaRoberta Posts: 34 Enthusiast

@Claudia said:
    Hmmm somewhere in my laptop, I have three things about me written down but I can't access them so let's see...

1. I am a doctor (MD kind) and molecular biologist, but that feels like another life. I miss academia and working in a lab terribly.

2. I had a hard time choosing what to study because I have many interests. I was a geek and a nerd waaaay before being either became cool. I think that had i been born in a first world country instead of a small town in the Andes, I probably would have had many PhDs by now. Alas, I wasn't, but I still managed to study astronomy on my own and was a member of the local astronomy society plus I took anthropology as an elective, while in med school. I also got an article published in the only national astronomy magazine of the country 😁 To this day, my love for learning hasn't diminished and I try to learn something new every day.

3. I was an athlete all my life, until illness made me slow down. Nowadays I don't compete anymore but I still practice t'ai chi ch'üan (tàijíquán) and yoga.

Since most people are adding a fourth, I will jump on the wagon too 😉🤣

1. I'm vegan. I am an animal rights advocate (and human rights and mental health advocate also. Can't stand injustice of any kind). I help local rescue shelters with TNR (Trap. Neuter. Return) programs and I forget and socialize cats to get them ready for adoption 💖💖💖

Kudos to you! I think a lot of people get themselves in little boxes and do not dare to go after different interests! Way to go!

@Jeff said:

1. The best compliment I think I ever got came from another niece (who was about 13 at the time - she is now 21) who when introducing me to her friends said "This is my Uncle Jeff, he's like Peter Pan, he hasn't grown up yet".

Love all your facts Jeff, but this is so sweet :)

@Rosa said:

@Tom Ross said:

Wow! How awesome is that? That would be a dream visit for me! I can only imagine how magnificent it would be to walk around and soak up the history, find some ghosts and take lots and lots of shots! It's on my bucket list to do amongst other places. Australia is only about 230 years young so not as much history as England and Europe!

100%, you should check it out. I'm trying to explore more of Europe myself.

@Shutterjunkie said:
    @[email protected] - I love that you included your party trick because this was going to be one of my 3!

1. I love films and music.. and i'm quite the rock/metal-head (though you wouldn't think it to look at me). My favourite band is Muse, but Metallica, Alter Bridge & Led Zeppelin are also very high up there.
    2. My party trick: I was born with weird hips. My mum got very upset when I was a toddler because the doctors said they might have to put me in a body cast to straighten (?) them (yey 80's medicine!). They didn't in the end, but it does mean that I can rotate my foot 180 degrees to point behind me, and that's my party trick which always gets quite a reaction.
    3. Sunshine and the countryside make me very happy. I get really sad when September arrives and I realise I have to survive the cold and gloom again to get back through to Spring. If I had the choice I would live in the Scottish highlands amongst all that gorgeous, rugged landscape (camera in hand, of course).

These are great! I'm the same with winter, summer all year round please. Also - saw Metallica a few years back at a UK festival, it was so loud! :D

• JemJem Posts: 933 Champion

@Tom Ross said:

@Shutterjunkie said:
    @[email protected] - I love that you included your party trick because this was going to be one of my 3!

2. My party trick: I was born with weird hips. My mum got very upset when I was a toddler because the doctors said they might have to put me in a body cast to straighten (?) them (yey 80's medicine!). They didn't in the end, but it does mean that I can rotate my foot 180 degrees to point behind me, and that's my party trick which always gets quite a reaction.
    3. Sunshine and the countryside make me very happy. I get really sad when September arrives and I realise I have to survive the cold and gloom again to get back through to Spring. If I had the choice I would live in the Scottish highlands amongst all that gorgeous, rugged landscape (camera in hand, of course).

These are great! I'm the same with winter, summer all year round please. Also - saw Metallica a few years back at a UK festival, it was so loud! :D

It wasn’t Download 2012 was it? I was there if so 😄

Photographer | Graphic Designer | Cat Mum | Film Watcher | Music Listener | Yorkshire Lass

Instagram: @shutterjunkie | Twitter: @photographerjem