Just a reminder that the Design Cuts office will be closed for the Easter Holidays from Friday 19th April- Monday 22nd April inclusive. This may affect some of the weekly competitions hosted in the forum, so please check the relevant threads for additional information :).
Don't forget to join us for our live forum call at 4pm UK time today, with Denise Anne! Remember if you're unable to make it, you'll still need to save your spot so that you can watch it back later: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/community-hangout/22

Best Photoshop shortcuts?

I thought maybe we could start a thread for the best, most useful Photoshop shortcuts/ quick tips. One that I learned about recently, and is the most useful trick ever, is something I don't know how I ever got along without knowing. Here it is: Hold down the spacebar with any tool, to get the hand, to quickly navigate around the document. It saves so much time, over scrolling, or stopping and switching tools! Does anyone have any other indispensable shortcuts or tricks please?

Comments

• davewilliams000davewilliams000 Posts: 137 All Star
    edited January 24

I'm a PC user so all my shortcuts are PC based, but if you're on a mac, then substitute CMD instead of CTRL, and Option instead of ALT:

• CTRL+J to duplicate layer. Use that a lot.
    • CTRL + (left) click a thumbnail in the layers panel to load it as a selection. Can hold down shift as well (in addition to holding down CTRL) and click additional layer thumbnails to add them to the selection
    • CTRL + G to create a group from the selected layers
    • With any painting tool (eg brushes, eraser), CTRL+ALT+Right Mouse button (held down) - drag left/right to change the size of the brush, and dragging up/down changes the hardness of the brush. Not sure if there's an equvalent Mac command as there's no right mouse button on a mac.
    • Also you can change the opacity using the number keys, eg 1 = 10%, 2=20%, etc. If you tap them quickly one after the other it will set it to that percentage e.g. 5+4=54% (just learned that last bit now when I was fact checking)
    • Double click the layer thumbnail of a smart object to open up that object/file in a new window/tab
    • Double click the layer thumbnail of any other layer (i.e. a pixel layer) opens up the layer styles window
    • Tool picking shortcuts: V for selection tool, B for brush tool, G for gradient, I for eye dropper
    • Switch between foreground and background = X
    • D sets foreground/background colours to default of Black/White
    • CTRL+A = select all, CTRL+D = deselect

That's all the ones I can think of just now.

• Thank you! You have a lot of good shortcuts here. Some of them I use, and others were new to me. CTRL+J is one of my most often used ones as well. I find it quicker than dragging the layer down to the new layer button. I can't get it to work for Smart Objects, though. It copies the layer as a rasterized layer, instead of a Smart Object.

• Wow, check out that list @davewilliams000 I'll be printing that one off and pinning it to my screen πŸ˜‚ can't wait to learn some new tips and tricks from you all!

Here's a link to this weeks forum call and you can always send me a DM if you need any help in the forum:
    https://www.crowdcast.io/e/community-hangout/1

@SJ- Community Manager cool, glad you find it useful! I only really started using photoshop with any serious intent at the beginning of last year and have picked up a good few things along the way. Quite a few of the tips come from the advanced course that I did on skillshare towards the end of last year.

• I guess being on the community side of things, I just don't need to use it that muchπŸ™ˆ I know where to come for help if and when I do though ;)

Here's a link to this weeks forum call and you can always send me a DM if you need any help in the forum:
    https://www.crowdcast.io/e/community-hangout/1

• Su HallSu Hall Posts: 29 Fan

One that I like that I stumbled upon accidentally is Ctrl>';'. (that's a semi-colon) If you have any 'Guides' in place on your document, you can temporarily hide them with it. Hit it again, they Guides return.

• @Su Hall said:
    One that I like that I stumbled upon accidentally is Ctrl>';'. (that's a semi-colon) If you have any 'Guides' in place on your document, you can temporarily hide them with it. Hit it again, they Guides return.

OH, that's a really good one! I didn't know about that. I always delete the guides when I need o hide them, then I have to set them up again. It was a real pain. Thank you.

• Tracy SaritzkyTracy Saritzky Posts: 3 Newbie

PC notes:

To increase or decrease brush size just use the bracket keys - [ to decrease, ] to increase. Add the shift key to the bracket to adjust hardness.

Option-[ selects layer below, option-] selects layer above. Add the flower* key to move the layer forward or backward. Add the shift to that to move to top or bottom.

Also, in the lower left corner is a number that displays the zoom percentage. You can enter a new number there or hold and 'scrub' left and right to scroll through the numbers, just like you can on transparency, for example.

*don't know actual name

• Tracy SaritzkyTracy Saritzky Posts: 3 Newbie

A correction and a point of information from my previous post. To make the zoom % in the lower left corner, you have to hold down the control key. Sorry.

The 'flower' key is the command key. I knew that, just got concerned when I tried to translate (and gave up) to Mac. I can't get that to work on the PC. Another sorry.

A few more:

comm + backspace will fill with the foreground color, alt + backspace will fill with the background color

hold down the h key and then click to zoom out to birds eye view, release to zoom to newly selected area.

hold down the z key and swipe right or left to zoom in or out, release the z key to return to the previous tool

when you have a dialog box, hold down the alt key to change the 'cancel' button to 'reset'

the tab key toggles the side panels off and on

• Mike SkockoMike Skocko Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited February 8

I'm sure @davewilliams000 knows these, too. :) Just adding a few more for curious minds.

I'm a Mac user so all my shortcuts are Mac-based, but if you're on a PC, then substitute CTRL instead of CMD, ALT instead of Option, and Backspace instead of Delete.

I use these (and Dave's shortcuts) daily:

• With any painting tool (eg brushes, eraser), CMD + Option + Left Mouse Button (held down) - drag left/right to change the size of the brush, and dragging up/down changes the hardness of the brush. PC users: See @davewilliams000 (above).
    • CMD + Shift + Option + N = New blank layer above the currently selected layer.
    • CMD + Shift + Option + E = "Everything" Layer (Photoshop calls this Stamp Visible in History, but I've never seen the command in any menu.)
    • Shift + Delete = Fill Dialog Box (Photoshop still prints out Shift + F5 in the Edit Menu even though... see next two...
    • Option + Delete = Fill with Foreground Color.
    • CMD + Delete = Fill with Background Color.
    • Tab = Where the #$%@ did my panels go?!
    • Tab = Oh, there they are.
    • F cycles through Screen Modes.
    • Hold both H and Left Mouse Button to navigate when zoomed way in.
    • Hold Spacebar + CMD (in that order to avoid Siri) and Left Mouse Button to Zoom In (drag right) or Zoom Out (drag left).
    • CMD + 0 (zero) = Fit on Screen
    • CMD + 1 = View Actual Size
    • CMD + Tilde (key above Tab) cycles through open documents. (Add Shift to cycle in the opposite order.)
    • CMD + Option + I = Image Size Dialog Box.
    • CMD + Option + C = Canvas Size Dialog Box.
    • When in a Dialog Box, use Tab to jump to the next field. (Shift + Tab to move to previous.)
    • When in a Dialog Box, hold Option to access the Reset button (Cancel turns to Reset).

Edits will probably follow as memory kicks in.

If you use other features regularly, add Custom Keyboard Shortcuts to save yourself time.

• CMD + Option + Shift + K = Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus Dialog Box.

HINT: On a Mac, the CTRL, Option, and CMD keys sit right next to each other and, as a group, aren't used for any existing shortcuts. Add an S for the Stroke Dialog Box, T for Trim, and any other letters for your most-beloved menu items.

Not a shortcut, but try the new Resample Option: Preserve Details 2.0 in the Image Size Dialog Box. The first step in "smart" resampling algorithms.

Have a creative weekend, everyone!

• Tormod HalvorsenTormod Halvorsen Posts: 120 All Star

When the day is done, I do like CMD-Q...

Have a nice weekend all!

• Richard LyallRichard Lyall Posts: 1,212 mod

@Tracy Saritzky said:
    hold down the h key and then click to zoom out to birds eye view, release to zoom to newly selected area.

Was just about to add this one - it's one of the best timesavers when making small edits on large documents e.g. tidying up the edge of a mask round the subject.

• Richard LyallRichard Lyall Posts: 1,212 mod
    edited February 11

Do you know the brush shortcut in Photoshop? On Windows it's Ctrl+Alt+Right mouse drag (Maybe Command + Option on Mac?)

Make sure you have the brush tool selected, and the active layer or mask is paintable:

With Ctrl + Alt/Cmd OPtion held down:

Right-Drag left-right to change brush size
    Right-Drag up-down to change brush hardness

I use it constantly and it saves a bucketload of time.

@Richard Lyall said:

@Tracy Saritzky said:

Was just about to add this one - it's one of the best timesavers when making small edits on large documents e.g. tidying up the edge of a mask round the subject.

I did want to add that one to my list but I couldn't remember what it was at the time... thanks for reminding me @Tracy Saritzky ! :smiley:

@Richard Lyall said:
    Do you know the brush shortcut in Photoshop? On Windows it's Ctrl+Alt+Right mouse drag (Maybe Command + Option on Mac?)

Make sure you have the brush tool selected, and the active layer or mask is paintable:

Think I mentioned that one, but no harm in doing so again... it's so useful... you added a gif too which makes it easier to understand :smiley:

• @Richard Lyall said:

Oh, that's a good one! I usually use the brackets to change the brush size, but it's very time consuming to change the hardness by going into the brush toolbox. Thank you.