Did you know you can get Design Cuts WhatsApp updates directly on your phone? Find out more and register here: https://www.designcuts.com/whatsapp/
Thanks so much for joining the Design Cuts Community Forum! Be sure to check out our welcome post to help you get started: https://s.designcuts.com/Welcome-to-the-Forum

Hangout Homework- 7th February

Hey Guys!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to join us on the call with @Tamer !

This weeks #hangouthomework challenges you all to use any of the tips and tricks you learned on today's call and apply it to a photo whether that's a new one or one you've already taken!

@Tamer feel free to re-iterate some of those keys points or a more specific breakdown here lol

All you need to do is post the before and after of your designs below for us to check out on next week's call :)

Please also shares your designs on Instagram and use the #hangouthomework and #designcutscommunity hashtags as well as tagging Tamer's Instagram so that he can repost some of you guys.

Here's a link to this weeks forum call and you can always send me a DM if you need any help in the forum:
https://www.crowdcast.io/e/community-hangout/1

Comments

• Terry WTerry W Posts: 14 Enthusiast

This is a photo of mine from woods near where I live in Exeter, UK. A Before & After. The before is the RAW image straight out of camera. The After uses the Orton effect plus luminosity masks, some healing & sharpening to finish.

• TamerTamer Posts: 39 Fan

Hello all! I wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you joined the hangout or watched the replay. It was a huge honor and a lot of fun!! Here are the links for the TK Actions Panel that I was using and discount code that Tony kindly allowed me to provide for the DC community, in addition to the slides I showed. Hopefully all of this was helpful and please holler with any questions!

TK Actions Information Page: goodlight.us/writing/actionspanelv6/panelv6.html
    TK Actions Purchase Page: goodlight.us/panels-and-videos.html
    20% Discount Code (Expires Feb. 15): TAMERHANGOUT20

@Terry W said:
    This is a photo of mine from woods near where I live in Exeter, UK. A Before & After. The before is the RAW image straight out of camera. The After uses the Orton effect plus luminosity masks, some healing & sharpening to finish.

Great stuff @Terry W - this looks like the kind of location I would love to visit :) Really nice composition and edits!

• Tranquil LensTranquil Lens Posts: 281 All Star

@Tamer Thank you!

Michelle

@Tamer said:
    Great stuff @Terry W - this looks like the kind of location I would love to visit :) Really nice composition and edits!

Thank you @Tamer, you're welcome anytime! Thanks for the feedback.

• Joanne DiochonJoanne Diochon Posts: 16 Fan

Quick question, will the discount code work for the V5 version of the TK actions panel for those of us who haven’t hopped on the CC wagon?

• Deborah BraunDeborah Braun Posts: 732 mod
    edited February 11

@Joanne Diochon I would think it would work on anything in the store, however, maybe @Tamer can answer the question best!

edited February 11

Here's another photo of mine from the Krka National Park in Croatia. Also a Before & After. The before is the RAW image straight out of camera. The After uses the Orton effect plus luminosity masks, some healing & sharpening to finish.

• JeffJeff Posts: 606 mod
    edited February 12

Waterfalls are such wonderful subjects, so I thought my first bit of homework would feature one as well. This is Beulach Ban Falls in the Cape Breton area of Nova Scotia.

Before

After

edited February 12

... and I could not finish my homework without including something from my town of Lark Harbour, Newfoundland.

Before

After

BTW - This last one prints really well on metallic photo paper.

@Joanne Diochon said:
    Quick question, will the discount code work for the V5 version of the TK actions panel for those of us who haven’t hopped on the CC wagon?

Hi @Joanne Diochon - I believe the discount code will work for the V5 version of the panel as well - if it doesn't work, let me know and I'll check in with Tony to see if this is possible. :)

• Joanne DiochonJoanne Diochon Posts: 16 Fan

@Tamer said:

@Joanne Diochon said:

Hi @Joanne Diochon - I believe the discount code will work for the V5 version of the panel as well - if it doesn't work, let me know and I'll check in with Tony to see if this is possible. :)

Thanks, @Tamer. I'll check it out.

• Richard LyallRichard Lyall Posts: 1,089 mod

I don't have too many decent photos of my own to try out, so I found a stock one that hadn't already been processed to death:

• Barbara.ABarbara.A Posts: 644 mod

I have so many photos I need to try this with, but it's been a very busy week and I'll have to be late with my hangout homework this time. I'm loving the images you've all come up with though! Gorgeous! And thanks so much, @Tamer . Your photos are beautiful, and I can't wait to try some of the techniques you taught.

• Deborah BraunDeborah Braun Posts: 732 mod

I tried out a few of the new things I learned from @Tamer's presentation on this photo I took several years ago in the Great Smokey Mountains. Not as dramatic as most of the others posted here.
    Before:

After:

• DIMITARDIMITAR Posts: 2 Newbie

@Tamer, Thank you very much for sharing your approach. It's been very useful and funny. And I would love to share my before and after, hoping to have your feedback. Have a love-ly Valentines day!

edited February 14

Something of a "local flavour" :)

edited February 14

Ooohhh... I haven't seen that stuff since I've lived in Canada!

@Joanne Diochon said:
    A photo I took on a trip a while ago that I've edited. I don't have the TK Actions panel yet so I used a different software to create some luminosity masks to brighten, increase contrast and sharpen different areas of the interest. I usually import my images using Capture One and do a few basic edits in that first.

Looks great @Joanne Diochon! Great that you were able to make your own luminosity masks - you can definitely create them on your own :) I really like how you were able to open up/brighten the darker areas while still keeping the overall contrast of the picture. Looks great (looks like a postcard :))!

@Terry W said:
    Here's another photo of mine from the Krka National Park in Croatia. Also a Before & After. The before is the RAW image straight out of camera. The After uses the Orton effect plus luminosity masks, some healing & sharpening to finish.

I really love this one @Terry W! I have a particular soft spot for waterfalls and I like how you were able to even out the luminosity of the whole scene. Beautiful location and photo! :)

@Jeff said:
    Waterfalls are such wonderful subjects, so I thought my first bit of homework would feature one as well. This is Beulach Ban Falls in the Cape Breton area of Nova Scotia.

Before

After

Wow, this is a really stunning scene @Jeff! I need to add Nova Scotia to my list of places for a photo trip! What an amazing waterfall and I love those fall colors. You were definitely able to add a lot of drama and vibrance to the scene - beautiful work!

@Jeff said:
    ... and I could not finish my homework without including something from my town of Lark Harbour, Newfoundland.

Before

After

BTW - This last one prints really well on metallic photo paper.

Yet another place I'm going to have to visit now :) What a lovely scene @Jeff and love that color in the clouds from the sunrise/sunset. I totally know what you mean as well, photos with these colors can look really amazing on metallic paper (I really love how landscape prints look on metallic papers). Getting good quality prints can also be an adventure so it's awesome that you seem to have mastered that as well :)

@Richard Lyall said:
    I don't have too many decent photos of my own to try out, so I found a stock one that hadn't already been processed to death:

Good pick on the stock photo @Richard Lyall - looks like there was still some room to play around with this one without blowing things out. I really like how you were able to emphasize the light source in this one. Your edited version definitely looks more dramatic!

@Barbara.A said:
    I have so many photos I need to try this with, but it's been a very busy week and I'll have to be late with my hangout homework this time. I'm loving the images you've all come up with though! Gorgeous! And thanks so much, @Tamer . Your photos are beautiful, and I can't wait to try some of the techniques you taught.

Totally understand @Barbara.A! Can't wait to see what you create when you have time!

@Deborah Braun said:
    I tried out a few of the new things I learned from @Tamer's presentation on this photo I took several years ago in the Great Smokey Mountains. Not as dramatic as most of the others posted here.
    Before:

After:

I really like this @Deborah Braun :) The photo has a very calming feel to me and I like your subtle edits to emphasize the contours of the terrain. You edits are subtle, but really lovely for this scene. Great job cloning out the tree in the bottom left too :)

@DIMITAR said:
    @Tamer, Thank you very much for sharing your approach. It's been very useful and funny. And I would love to share my before and after, hoping to have your feedback. Have a love-ly Valentines day!

Great job @DIMITAR and thank you - I'm really happy to be able to help! I really like how you were able to make the mountains in the background more prominent in the image with your edits - the whole image feels more balanced and vibrant with your modifications, so great work :)

@Richard Lyall said:

Great shot - feels like you've created a scene that would be perfect for the beverage company's ad campaign! Using the orton effect and boosting the color of the scene really add to the mood of this one

@Tamer said:

@Richard Lyall said:

Great shot - feels like you've created a scene that would be perfect for the beverage company's ad campaign! Using the orton effect and boosting the color of the scene really add to the mood of this one

Hey Tamer ... this was my joke entry, being a Scot, I thought I needed to include a national Scottish beverage so I’ve overcooked the oranges to emphasise the product but it’s not what I would normally do :)

@Tamer said:
    Yet another place I'm going to have to visit now :) What a lovely scene

As mentioned, this is from where I am currently living. If you do visit Western Newfoundland you'll have to let me know as you'll have a place to stay!

I totally know what you mean as well, photos with these colors can look really amazing on metallic paper (I really love how landscape prints look on metallic papers).

Yes, they seem to have an almost 3D feel especially if you vary your viewing angle back and forth so that different parts capture the light. Metallic doesn't work on every image, but when it does, it looks really impressive.